4 Superbooks (To Save You From Your Reading Slump)

Firstly, I've been having a quick peek at my blog stats this morning, and it feels like this little corner of the internet is finally starting to grow, just a little. Slowly. Thank you everyone for reading and liking and commenting! I am indebted to all of you for all of your kind words, your support . . . JUST ACCEPT MY THANKS, OKAY!
***

Now, the post. I would like to discuss a certain bookworm's phenomenon: the reading slump. We often shame ourselves for not having a book in our hands all the live-long day - or at least, I do - but WHY? I feel like part of the reason reading slumps are such a big deal is because we feel like we will somehow never read again.

As the veteran of many reading slumps myself, I can assure you that this is unlikely to happen, but if you need further assistance, your wish is obviously my command. As a book genie, it is my responsibility to provide some saviour books - if you want to get out of the slump, of course. Sometimes it's really good to ignore the books for a while and get on with TV / homework / whatever else you neglect when you're caught in the reading non-slump (maybe talk to your family? But that might be a little too crazy.)

Okay. If you insist, I shall provide some books.


#1 - The Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan

I could go on about the sheer brilliance of Percy's sarky narration for days, but most of you are probably rolling your eyes at me because "come on Lara, I read all of them ages ago". I get that. But at the moment I'm actually recommending the side books, like Percy Jackson and the Greek Gods, because you get Greek mythology in Percy's approachable, hilarious voice. They're also really short, which can definitely help you push through a reading slump and means that you come out the other side laughing.

#2 - The Murder Most Unladylike series by Robin Stephens
I've always found murder mysteries and books about boarding schools really really good for getting out of reading slumps. Maybe that's just me, but I like how they're analytical and mostly plot-driven (although you'll love the characters too) so you can give your feels a little break. This is a murder mystery set in a boarding school. In the 1930s.

If you're anything like me, the idea of an MC from Hong Kong trying to survive in a slightly ignorant, traditional English society - and the beauty of that cover- should be making you do grabby hands. The Wells and Wong detective agency will solve the case of your reading slump in no time.

#3 - The Diary of A Young Girl by Anne Frank
There's no way I can talk about this trivially, because the Holocaust was a really serious thing and not a topic to be tackled half-heartedly. That said, I think it's really good to tackle a reading slump because it's more of a cultural study than a fiction book, and you really need to read it.

If you're in a bit of an uninspired place, which a lot of reading slumpers can be, I find Anne's words can help put events in place more than anything. Sometimes, we forget how truly lucky we are.


#4 - Anything by Agatha Christie
Trust me when I say that Agatha Christie is utterly and indisputably addictive. There are over fifty and if you're anything like me, it soon becomes a competition with yourself to finish. They're just the right length to finish in a day or two, and there's nothing like reading a classic to make you feel like a civilised and well-learned reader.

Don't forget the whole murder mystery thing, too. And old-fashioned gossip and all of that sha-bang.

I wish you the best of luck with your reading slump, bloglings. Thank you again for all the love you've showered on this blog.
***

In the comments: What books / other techniques have helped you out of a reading slump? And what do you do when it allows you to not read?
SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! ;-D

Follow Me! I Know the Way!

BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig