The Creatures of the Night Book Tag

By now, you people will probably know that I'm not the sort of person to wait around until I get tagged in these things. I like to GO OUT over the internet and HUNT DOWN interesting blog tags. Then I steal them (what, you didn't know I was a blogging ninja?).


Therefore, I have grabbed this, the Creatures of the Night Tag, which was originally created by the BookTuber Katytastic, and I'd like to thank her for it. 'Tis good.

Vampire - Baz (Carry On by Rainbow Rowell)


I'm not usually a huge fan of the whole vampire-romance thing. I'm one of those despicable people who loves to look down on Twilight without ever having read any more of it than a sample chapter (which was actually okay, but shush. Don't tell anyone), and the whole I-love-you-but-I-feel-compelled-to-bite-you thing is just a bit frustrating to me.

But then the Rainbow that is Rowell came along and blew this trope so far out the water I had to catch it with a basket hung from a plane. *awards self a medal for such an excruciatingly tenuous metaphor*

What I love about Baz is that his vampireishness doesn't control his personality. It's not even the biggest part of his personality (that's almost definitely getting snarky and mean when he doesn't know what else to do) and that personality is one of my favourites. It seems that nobody can help but adore Baz. And Simon. *love heart eyes*

Werewolf - Remus Lupin (Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling)

One of the many things Queen Rowling is well-known and adored for is her ability to deal with the most sensitive of topics under the guise of a children's fantasy series. You might not realise it the first time (I certainly didn't) but Dementors = depression. Teddy Lupin = a representative of the futility of war (that's a whole other story though, I don't want to spoil anything). And Lupin's lycanthropy, the way his is treated with horror and disrespect while dealing with crippling symptoms of the very illness that makes him a social outcast, is a metaphor for real-life stigma illnesses, particularly HIV/AIDS.

The tenderness of his portrayal, and particularly the way that until Harry saw Lupin around other wizards, he didn't even consider lycanthropy abnormal. The vulnerability of the situation made it feel true, heart-rendering, and really opened my eyes.

Zombie -
Sorry, but I've completely blanked. I literally do not think that I've ever read a book involving a zombie. Recommendations?

Ghost - The Ripper (The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson)

This entire book was just absolute perfection.

There are many things I can rant about that will tell you how amazing it was, but as I'm supposed to be talking about ghosts, I suppose I can say that the ghosts were very interesting characters. Humans who just happened to be dead. IT WAS JUST GOOD, OKAY? I REALLY CAN'T THINK CRITICALLY!

Ahem. I should probably try to cling on to some shred of professionalism.

Witch / Warlock / Spellcaster - Hermione Granger (Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling)
HERMIONE? I'M TALKING TO YOU
I know this is the second mention of Harry Potter within a single post, but can solemnly promise you that I tried to answer without it and failed dramatically. It eclipses my knowledge of magic and witches in fiction so greatly that I literally could not think of anything else to even fit this description (there probably are several examples - but you get what I mean).

I've chosen Hermione as opposed to any of the other hundreds of magical characters in the series for a few reasons. I mean, of course, she's utterly awesome, but it's mostly because of how hard she works, and how hard we see her work, for her craft. Being a witch is a huge part of Hermione's identity, to the point where she'd rather die than be expelled from Hogwarts - and no, Ron, she does not need to sort out her priorities - so it feels that mentioning her here as my favourite witch is really the least I can do.

Fairy / Fae - Holly Short (Artemis Fowl Series by Eoin Colfer)

It's been a while since I've read these books, so my memory might be a little sketchy, but Colfer's interpretation of fairies is so unique and technological that you can't help but be ensnared by it. They can only fly because they have electronic wings, and there are guns and blasters and . . . things. Look, you're going to have to read this and remind me about all the plot details.

Demon - Pantaleimon (His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman)

Okay, so officially Pan is a daemon. But breaking the rules is just what ninja-blogger-tag-stealers do.

I really loved his character mostly because of how he interacted with Lyra. Their sarkiness and how much they stick together was basically my favourite part of the first book (other than Roger, but I can't talk about Roger for fear of exposing the world's ugliest feels), and just as Lyra is the troublemaking crusader I wish I could have the courage of, Pan is the voice of reason. Most of the time. They're supposed to be two sides of the same personality, and I can say that they actually read like that while still being discernibly different characters.

*cheers at author for excellence in a difficult situation* 

Angel - Willow (Angel by L.A. Weatherly)

Her angel heritage might be a bit of a mystery, but I haven't read about many angels in YA and I can't think of any way one could be portrayed in a better way than Willow is. She's a psychic who fixes cars in her spare time.

Case closed.

Alien - Queen Levana (Cinder by Marissa Meyer)


Queen Levana is a brilliantly imagined villain, and I love the idea of a Lunar colony living on the moon in a futuristic society. Especially since most of the communities on earth are so futuristic that the moon-people are about as relateable, but in a good way.

Also, she be scary. Like, twisted logic is almost understandable scary. There's the whole mirrors thing, and . . . look, it's been a while since I read Cinder. I don't remember all the details, but Levana terrified me. She is also most definitely an alien.

Superpowered Human - Jess Mastriani (Missing / 1-800 Series by Meg Cabot)

Oooh, another psychic! You might be able to tell that I am a little obsessed with the idea of reading minds. I only desperately want to have it a tiny bit.

What makes Jess a brilliant superhero is that she's also human. As in, superpowered human. She makes mistakes. She laughs with her friend, Rose, and they're both hilarious. Not to mention that she's not the sort of person you'd expect to be a superhero: she really only starts to hunt for the missing children she psychic-ly sees out of curiosity.

Sounds like a pretty complex character, right?

Jess is also a kick-ass flute player and - reluctantly - helps out at her Dad's restaurants at weekends. Maybe that isn't important to you, but I just love the little details that make her a real person. An interesting person. She's sarky, too. We all have a weakness for sarky characters.

That, esteemed ladies and gentlemen, was the Creatures of the Night book tag. Don't have too many nightmares . . .

***
In the comments: Which 'night creatures' do you like to read about? These ones, or do you disagree with me instead? (That's interesting too. I like discussions, especially with people I vehemently disagree with. :-) )
SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! ;-D

Follow Me! I Know the Way!

BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig